Saturday, May 27, 2006

Memorial Day

Every year there are around 100 Line of Duty Deaths in the fire service. I know several EMS workers die each year but I cannot qoute an average. These folks need to be in our thoughts, but this weekend is about remembering the men and women who have sacrificed their lives in service of our country and our people. One stat that isn't kept is how many are active firefighters, EMS workers, and police officers. I know of several in my department that serve in the National Gaurd/Reserves and I'm sure there are hundreds across the country in other departments. Take one quick minute this weekend to think about the folks that aren't awarded the LODD benifits and that aren't recognized as firemen when they die in military service. These folks don't deserve more respect or rememberance than the other men and women do, they just hit closeer to home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home